With the chilly season in full swing you're bound to want to stay-in, keep warm, and stick with comfort foods. During this time our diets should also consist of eating the right foods so that you protect and preserve your body for the season ahead. Eating well includes warm comforting foods like thick soup or hot drinks. What better than than to include a Butternut Squash Soup into your winter diet!
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, winter is the season associated with our kidneys, the energy system which holds our body's most basic and fundamental energy. By harmonizing our body with the seasons, you can stay healthier and prevent disease. One of the many miracle foods during the chilly season are winter squashes such as the the butternut squash, which helps aid your digestive system, supports your overall health and wellness, and bonus, it's also known to be warming for the body. Add a touch of anti-inflammatory ingredients like garlic, your body is well cared for this winter.
With so many benefits to butternut squash, this is the perfect heart soup to make!
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- ½ cup of butternut squash, diced
- 2-3 cups of boiling water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of mushroom seasoning
- Handful of parsley or cilantro, chopped
- In a small frying pan, melt the butter and add the garlic. Stir making sure you don't burn the garlic. Remove from flame when the garlic is light brown. Set aside.
- Put the carrots and butternut squash in a pot. Add just enough boiling water to cover them.
- Add salt and mushroom seasoning and allow the mixture to simmer for 5-6 minutes or until the ingredients are tender.
- Next, add the browned garlic and use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
- Top with parsley and enjoy the benefits!